Saturday, February 5, 2011

Real ladies amuse themselves with satiric maps.

My good friend and I spent much of yesterday sitting at our crew's usual hangout in Ramallah.  I found myself scouring the internet for amusing maps depicting the purported "American view" of the rest of the world.  Her being British, she found it rather amusing as well.  Here were my favorite three:


"Please tell me that people actually say 'Here be...' in the States."  I shake my head.  "Oh, please do.  Please just tell me, somewhere."  She also enjoyed the spelling of "Europe", although I pointed out that this was likely made by one of her own considering the spelling of "neighbours".  Honestly not certain what the focus on Communism is here, but I do rather enjoy Cuba on this map.  And South America and Africa - "No civilisation, People eat each other here"



Helen's immediate favorite was Australia.   Yet again, I was particularly fond of Africa and South America.


There's something about the excessive use of exclamation marks in this one that I really enjoy. 

I showed Helen a few maps showing how Americans saw the different states, as she wasn't previously aware of the different stereotypes we have for one another.  I also found a map of how Europeans saw the States.  None of these were especially entertaining, so I haven't included them, but the world's just a Google search away, no?

Helen went ahead and described for me how Europeans actually viewed us, in her opinion.


Take that, friends of mine in LA!  Although I'm not entirely certain how much that center circle was truly meant to encompass... it is possible that my own people are taking a hit as well.

And that, folks, is how real women entertain themselves.  Wadatah.

1 comment: